The Years 7 to 9 curriculum has been developed based on research that shows how boys respond and learn at this phase of their lives.
Boys in Years 7 to 9 undertake core studies in:
- Health and Physical Education
- Modern Languages (Japanese, Mandarin, Spanish or French)
- Pastoral Learning
- Religious Education.
In Year 7 and Year 8, each student also participates in a semester unit of Design Technology, Visual and Media Arts, Music and Drama; however, in Year 9, these creative subjects become an elective, along with Geography; Engineering Technology; Advanced Science; Information Technology; Film, Television and New Media; and Philosophy and Critical Reasoning. Each student chooses four of these electives in order to continue to gain a broad exposure to a varied curriculum at this developmental age.
Each learning area incorporates the cross-curricular priorities of literacy, numeracy and life skills. Emphasis is on comprehending, collecting, structuring and sequencing; analysing, assessing and concluding; creating and presenting; and applying techniques and procedures. Wherever possible, information technology is interwoven into the formal academic programme.
Some of the features of our academic programme are listed below
- Studies in English, Modern Languages, Mathematics, Expressive Arts and Information Media Studies assist students to communicate effectively.
- Humanities and Science encourage an understanding of the social and physical environment.
- Religious Education helps students gain a greater appreciation of Christian values.
- Health and Physical Education focuses on developing a healthy mind in a healthy body.
- Expressive Arts, Information Media Studies, and Design and Technology encourage creativity, individual talents and interests.