This page has been created to display information and documents for the community of Anglican Church Grammar School (Churchie), which details Churchie's the measures taken by the School in response to COVID-19. For general information from government authorities, please visit the websites of Queensland Health or the Australian Government Department of Health, which also has a useful COVID-19 FAQ publication.
Return to school: Years 2 to 10
Following the latest advice from Queensland health and government authorities, on Monday 25 May 2020, students in Years 2 to 10 returned to campus. This means that all year levels from Reception through to Year 12 are now on campus for all lessons.
Return to school: Reception, Years 1, 11 and 12
Following the latest advice from Queensland Health and government authorities, on Monday 11 May 2020, students in Reception, Year 1, Year 11 and Year 12 returned to campus for their lessons.
Parents not to attend campus
Parents are respectfully asked not to attend campus, other than for an urgent student safety or welfare matter. Parents should not gather in areas around the School, such as in carparks, at the school gate or outside classrooms.
School temporary closure 25 March 2020
After the School was notified of a parent who has tested positive to COVID-19, the campus was closed on Wednesday 25 March 2020, as a precautionary measure, and allow for cleaning to take place.
To support the efforts to contain and slow the spread of COVID-19, external tutors providing services to students in The Centenary Library has been suspended for the remainder of Term 1. External tutors have been encouraged to speak to parents or guardians gain permission to conduct tutorial sessions at alternative locations external to the school.
Camps, tours and co-curricular sports and activities
In response to recommendations from external governing authorities, a range of activities has been either postponed or cancelled. View more information on cancelled events and activities.
As has been previously advised, the School is currently reviewing all of our international tours in accordance with official advice. The tours planned for China and New Zealand have been cancelled. The School will continue providing updates regarding the status of other Churchie tours.
Hygiene measures and social distancing
In a calm and reassuring manner, staff have been modelling and advising the boys on good hygiene and social distancing measures, which include the following:
- Students and staff should not attend school if they feel unwell, are undergoing testing for COVID-19 or have had direct contact with a confirmed case of COVID-19.
- No direct physical contact in the form of traditional handshakes (tapping feet is in vogue).
- Large gatherings have been discontinued (such as assemblies and chapels).
- Regular handwashing and covering coughs and sneezes with a tissue or bent elbow are essential personal actions.
- Staff are vigilant for students who present as unwell and are immediately managed by the School’s Health and Wellness Centre.
- Information regarding hygiene and social distancing has been promoted by housemasters and on Schoolbox.
- The number of students using the library is being monitored and boys are encouraged to disperse around campus during breaks to avoid congregating.
- Revised seating plans have been created for examinations in Morris Hall to space students at least 1.5 metres apart.
- Increased monitoring of hygiene products in bathrooms.
- Hand sanitisers are in every Prep School classroom
- Teachers are seeking to achieve, where possible, social distancing in the classroom environments and the manner in which boys organise their day.
Churchie will continue to communicate with the School community with updates regarding COVID-19. This will be predominately via the newsletter (for general updates). If necessary, email and instant messaging via Team App will be used. Additionally, a webpage will be created to centralise information about Churchie’s response to COVID-19.
Please ensure you have provided the School with your current email address and that you join the Churchie Team App group. If you didn’t receive the email invitation last week, please search for ‘Churchie.’ in Team App and request to join. Team App is available in the App Store or Google Play.
Government travel advice
The Churchie community is advised to consult the Smart Traveller website with regard to planned overseas travel. Please note that the government is issuing regular updates and that families should closely monitor the travel advice being issued. For travel advice, visit Smart Traveller.
Communications to parents
The following updates have been sent to the Churchie community: