This page has been created to display information and documents for the community of Anglican Church Grammar School (Churchie), which details the measures taken by the School in response to COVID-19. For general information from government authorities, please visit the websites of Queensland Health or the Australian Government Department of Health.
GPS sports and activities resume
From Term 3, GPS sports and activities will resume in an altered form with a range of restrictions and processes in place, including:
View a statement from The GPS Association regarding the return to GPS Sport.
- Cross country, chess, debating, football, rugby and tennis will operate on an arrive/play/leave basis—students should arrive ready to play.
- Each student will be permitted to have up to two parents attend their fixtures (except chess) and parents in attendance will be required to register with the EVA Check-in app and scan QR codes when entering a venue.
- Note: due to physical-distancing requirements indoors, unfortunately, parents will be unable to attend chess.
- No canteens or food service will be available on-campus. The exception will be The Arches, which will be open on Saturday mornings for light refreshments.
- Sanitation stations and restrooms will be available for students and parents.
- To enable members of the school community to view firsts matches (and some selected younger grades), a livestreaming service will operate.
- Physical distancing measures will be applied across all venues.
- There is no parking available on campus.
- All attendees are required to follow hygiene practices.
- People with cold or flu symptoms should not attend.
Parents not to attend campus
Parents are respectfully asked not to attend campus, other than for an urgent student safety or welfare matter. Parents should not gather in areas around the School, such as in carparks, at the school gate or outside classrooms.
Camps, tours and activities
In response to recommendations from external governing authorities, a range of activities has been either postponed or cancelled. View more information on cancelled events and activities.
As has been previously advised, the School is currently reviewing all of our international tours in accordance with official advice. The tours planned for China and New Zealand have been cancelled. The School will continue providing updates regarding the status of other Churchie tours.
Hygiene measures and social distancing
In a calm and reassuring manner, staff have been modelling and advising the boys on good hygiene and social distancing measures, which include the following:
- Students and staff should not attend school if they feel unwell, are undergoing testing for COVID-19 or have had direct contact with a confirmed case of COVID-19.
- No direct physical contact in the form of traditional handshakes (tapping feet is in vogue).
- Large gatherings have been discontinued (such as assemblies and chapels).
- Regular handwashing and covering coughs and sneezes with a tissue or bent elbow are essential personal actions.
- Staff are vigilant for students who present as unwell and are immediately managed by the School’s Health and Wellness Centre.
- Information regarding hygiene and social distancing has been promoted by housemasters and on Schoolbox.
- The number of students using the library is being monitored and boys are encouraged to disperse around campus during breaks to avoid congregating.
- Revised seating plans have been created for examinations in Morris Hall to space students at least 1.5 metres apart.
- Increased monitoring of hygiene products in bathrooms.
- Hand sanitisers are in every Prep School classroom
- Teachers are seeking to achieve, where possible, social distancing in the classroom environments and the manner in which boys organise their day.
Churchie will continue to communicate with the School community with updates regarding COVID-19. This will be predominantly via the newsletter (for general updates). If necessary, email and instant messaging via Team App will be used.
Please ensure you have provided the School with your current email address and that you join the Churchie Team App group. If you didn’t receive the email invitation, please search for ‘Churchie.’ in Team App and request to join. Team App is available in the App Store or Google Play.
Government travel advice
The Churchie community is advised to consult the Smart Traveller website with regard to planned overseas travel. Please note that the government is issuing regular updates and that families should closely monitor the travel advice being issued. For travel advice, visit Smart Traveller.