Extension and enrichment opportunities
Churchie’s gifted and talented programme in the Senior School is a critical part of our overall success as a vibrant, aspirational and dynamic learning community.
The Years 7 to 9 Scholars Programme allows any aspirational student the opportunity to extend their learning and interests through a range of opportunities and events such as the Big Science Competition, the Computational Algorithmic Thinking Competition, the Australian Geography Competition and the Australian History Competition. Students meet every week to participate in extension programmes covering a range of subject areas, including Maths, Computing and Philosophy.
The Aquila programme is woven into this enrichment experience, with various additional opportunities for our most gifted students which are provided on an invitational basis only. Aquila includes year-long extension programmes, short term projects, ability grouping in some subjects and entry into individual and team competitions.
Our extension programme often features masterclasses from specialist teachers, visiting scholars from different universities and industries, and excursions. Churchie also hosts a range of extension activities and competitions such as the Churchie Maths Challenge, the Churchie Humanities Challenge and the Churchie Literature Challenge.
The numerous extension experiences and competitions in which Churchie presently participates include:
- Interdisciplinary extension units
- State and Australasian Philosothons (philosophy)
- Australian Brain Bee Challenge (Year 10)
- UQ/QAMT Maths Problem Solving Competition
- Churchie Maths Team Challenge
- Churchie Literature Challenge
- Australian Maths Trust Enrichment Programmes
- Computational Algorithmic Thinking Test
- Australian Geography Competition
- World Scholar’s Cup
- Big Science Competition
- Research Placements and STEM Camps
- Australian Computational Linguistics Olympiad (OzCLO)
- Science Engineering Challenges
- Da Vinci Decathlons
- Days of Excellence workshops
- Readers’ Cup
- Aurecon Bridge Building Competition.
We also provide opportunities for a range of university visits and excursions in local, national and international contexts.
years 7 to 10
years 11 and 12