Churchie’s Boarding House is located on the school campus in the inner-city suburb of East Brisbane. Boarding has been an integral part of the Churchie community since the school settled in East Brisbane in 1918.
Churchie’s seven-day-a-week boarding philosophy provides a place for boarders to thrive. The school enjoys the support that parents provide, many of whom have been with Churchie for generations.
For over a century Churchie has held boarding at the heart of its community. Boarders enjoy access to the Churchie facilities and academic staff for the extended hours that they are at school to enrich their schooling experience.
Staff recognise the challenges that boarders face and enjoy caring for young men. With the right levels of support and guidance from staff, along with the positive relationships that our boys build with their peers, Churchie Boarders develop a strong sense of belonging. With belonging comes a sense of self and good self-esteem. It is only once we have this balance that a young man will fulfil his potential.
Our aim is to provide a high level of care in order for boys to be safe and happy in this environment.
At Churchie we seek to establish a strong partnership with you to develop your sons into outstanding young men who will lead and serve their communities.
The aims of the Churchie Boarding community are to:
- provide a happy, secure and challenging environment for each boy so that he may thrive as an individual to achieve his potential
- ensure that each boy engages with his academic responsibilities with vigour and commitment
- provide each boy with support to grow spiritually, academically, personally and through the service he can provide to the wider community beyond the school
- encourage each boy to broaden his horizons and realise the possibilities open to him in the global community
- develop leadership, resilience and self-reliance skills and awareness of the need to be responsible for himself and others.
Boarding at Churchie is for students enrolled in Years 7 to 12. Boarding students come from across Australian metropolitan and rural areas and overseas destinations including Hong Kong, Singapore and Papua New Guinea.
Churchie Boarding offers students very secure and comfortable accommodation in our two main, air-conditioned boarding houses, Gerald and Goodwin. Boarders are cared for by friendly, supportive and experienced staff including a Housemaster, Assistant Housemaster, a Resident Housemother and Resident Supervisor. This key team of four colleagues form the pastoral care team for each house and they get to know and understand the boys very well.
Our boarding staff encourage and arrange opportunities for boarders to experience the many and varied cultural activities in and around Brisbane. Visits and excursions to the cultural complex, theatres, cinemas, sporting events and theme parks all feature in a vibrant recreational and cultural programme.